Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Actually painted McThralls

Since I've actually been playing Cryx and loving Gaspy3, I decided it was high time to paint up the last unpainted McThralls that I have.  That means my 4th Brute Thrall and the last 11 regular McThralls.  I initially primed these guys when I got them in the same Army Painter Necrotic Flesh, planning to dip them the same as I did the initial group.  I know I'm no extraordinary painter, but I feel like I've come a long way since I dipped my initial 20+ McThralls.  So I decided to try and give these guys a much better paintjob.  This will also help me differentiate between my 2 units in my Gaspy3 tier list, which you can read about here in my Merc Battle reports thread on Focus and Fury.

Anyways, here's the Brute Thrall that I initially tested my scheme with.




I'm doing a lot of the ribbed tubing as green and some purple armor plates, mimicking the new Cryx scheme found on my Wraith Engine.  The flesh was a new recipe I had, which started with a purple flesh tone acheived with a Citadel Leviathan Purple wash on top of the primer, followed by thin layers of Citadels's Rotting Flesh with stronger highlights as Rotting Flesh + Skull White.

As an example of what it looks like for the flesh, here's a McThrall after washing

 

and an obviously different one after highlighting.


Overall, I'm very happy with how this undead flesh is turning out.  I really feel like it's a better undead fleshtone than my dipped McThralls have (shown below).


So just a quick painting update, be sure to check out the focus and fury thread for my battle reports with Gaspy3.  If people want me to start posting them here, just let me know and I'll copy/paste them over.

No comments:

Post a Comment